Climate smart agriculture, livestock and fisheries (CSA) and Green Growth (GG) is agricultural development that increases value chain productivity while reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
The programme ‘s approach in identifying and supporting the CSA and GG technologies is through analysis of PVC suitability maps and climate forecasts i.e. participatory scenario planning (PSP) processes in order to come up with mitigation and or adaptation measures.
In supporting CSA and GG interventions, the programme recognizes that women and youth value chain actors are vulnerable to climate change effects and therefore, will purpose to ensure that the most appropriate interventions are promoted and supported for implementation through partnerships and alliances.
Some of the mitigation measures include:
- Solar power interventions e.g. solar powered water pumps for irrigarion, solar powered cooling systems in dairy
- Silage making
- Water conservation technologies e.g. drip irrigation
- Conservation and protection of breeding sites in fisheries
Examples of adaptation measures to be promoted
- Pasture conservation
- Bio gas generation
- Drought tolerant crop varieties and livestock species
- Utilization of climate forecasts for local decision making